
My Kitchen Aid was working overtime this last weekend!!! Saturday was they day I was planning to make a bunch of cupcakes for a church bake sale tomorrow (and a little for me, of course!). I knew I had nothing planned, so I could dedicate most of the day to the baking. Typical me, I couldn't decide what kind to make, so I made 3 kinds of cupcakes: Magnolia's Vanilla with Vanilla Buttercream, Strawberry-Balsamic with Cream Cheese Frosting and Boston Cream Pie from "Cupcakes!" a cupcake cookbook by Elinor Klivans and France Ruffenach.
Here are all my recipes spread out so I could try to work on them all at the same time.

I started all my prep work by making the vanilla custard for the Boston Cream Pie and the strawberry balsamic syrup.
Strawberry-Balsamic Syrup cooking on the stove:

The first batch of cupcakes were supposed to be the Boston Cream Pie ones. This was a recipe I got from "Cupcakes!", a cupcake cookbook I received from a friend for my birthday. It was the first time I made these cupcakes. They are filled with vanilla custard and topped with a chocolate glaze and sounded incredibly delicious.
Well, when they were cooled enough, I picked one up and looked at it. The thing didn't rise! It was a little 1" solid lump of cooked cupcake. There was no air, no fluffiness. Nothing. Erm... Not good. My poor little lumps are still sitting on the counter. I have no idea what to do with them or if I should just throw them. I still don't know what happened to them; I followed the directions to a 't', or so I thought...
I had the filling made already, so I decided to go ahead and make a full batch of the Magnolia's vanilla (which makes 24, I was going to half the recipe) and turn half of them into the Boston Cream Pie cupcakes. Not a problem.
Here is the end result. My cupcakes turned out quite well. I love the flavor of them. And I think they're cute. I have about 30 of them for the bake sale tomorrow and I'm keeping about 9 of them for me and my family.


Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream

Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes filled with Vanilla Custard and Chocolate Glaze

All lined up and ready for the bake sale. Cupcakes anyone?

No comments:
Post a Comment