Thursday, December 6, 2007

Pumpkin Crunch

(Sorry it's partially eaten. I'll post a much more pleasant looking photo when I make this again for Christmas.)

FILLING (I've listed the brands that have worked best for me):
  • 1 can (1 lb. 13 oz.) Pure Pumpkin (Libby’s brand—don’t get the stuff that’s ready-to-use pumpkin filling for pies)
  • 1 can (12 oz.) Evaporated Milk (Carnation brand)
  • 1 c. Sugar
  • 3 large Eggs
  • 1 tsp. Cinnamon
  • 1 box Yellow Pudding Cake Mix (don’t use a “Golden Butter” type cake mix—gets really oily)
  • 1 ½ c. Walnuts, chopped
  • 2 sticks Margarine, melted (I use Imperial brand—good for baking. Stay away from Nucoa brand—good for cooking. It’s way too rich/fatty and salty!)

FROSTING:

  • 1 pkg (8 oz.) Cream Cheese, softened
  • 1/3 container (8 oz.) Cool Whip
  • 1 c. Powdered Sugar

DIRECTIONS:

  • Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
  • Line the bottom of a 13” x 9” x 2” pan with waxed paper. Mix pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, eggs, and cinnamon together. Pour into lined pan and spread evenly.
  • Sprinkle entire box of yellow pudding cake mix (dry) over pumpkin mixture—don’t worry if it looks like a lot. Spread evenly and pat lightly with a fork.
  • Sprinkle chopped walnuts on top of yellow pudding cake mix layer. Spread evenly and pat lightly with a fork.
  • Spoon melted margarine over walnuts. Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes or until the top looks golden brown. I usually end up going the full hour.
  • While pumpkin crunch is baking, mix softened cream cheese and powdered sugar together. (I actually sift the 1 c. of powdered sugar into the mixing bowl to break up any lumps.) Once incorporated, mix in the Cool Whip. Keep refrigerated until ready to frost.
  • When completely cooled, invert pan, remove waxed paper, and frost.
  • If you have the time, let the pumpkin crunch refrigerate overnight (so it can fully set) before frosting. Enjoy!

No comments: